The meal at which most nutrition clients make mistakes is breakfast. Breakfast foods are simple to prepare, but most of us are too busy getting ourselves and our families out of the door to have time to make a healthy breakfast each day. This frittata recipe can solve that problem. Simple to make, and great cold or reheated, this protein-packed frittata can be customized to your likings and will start your day off on a healthy foot.
Feel free to customize the ingredients to your liking. You must maintain the egg to milk ratio to ensure proper consistency. Other than that, this frittata is only limited by your imagination. As always, servings depend on your nutritional needs!
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk of your choice (dairy or nut-based is fine)
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Red Chili Flake (optional)
- 4 Strips of Bacon, diced
- 1 Large, Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 Medium Onion, diced
- 1/2 Cup Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut oil, Olive oil, or Butter for pan
- In a 10 inch, oven proof skillet (cast iron or oven-ready non-stick is great) melt olive oil, coconut oil, or butter slowly over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until the whites and the yolks are combined, then whisk in the milk. Stir in your spices, and set aside.
- In the skillet, cook the other ingredients, starting with the bacon and onions. Cook the bacon until it has started to crisp, and the vegetables until they have softened and started to brown. Pour the eggs over the ingredients, stir, and let cook over medium heat until the edges just start to pull away from the pan.
- Transfer the pan to a 350 degree oven, and cook the mixture until the eggs are set, approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, flip out of the pan, and slice and serve, or chill for future meals.