If you’ve ever found yourself rushing from work to the box without a solid energy source to help you crush the workout of the day, you know how important portable food can be. It’s even better when the food is a healthy option such as these peanut butter and jelly energy bites. You can change out the flavors as you wish by using any freeze dried fruit. You can also use any nuts that you like in place of the peanuts. If you are trying to follow the Paleo diet, almonds or cashews would be a good choice.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Energy Bites Ingredients:
- 1/2 Cup Freeze Dried Fruit (I like Raspberries if you can find them)
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Peanuts
- 1 Cup Pitted Dates
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- Unsweetened Coconut for topping
Peanut Butter and Jelly Energy Bites Steps:
- Preheat your oven to 300. Spread the coconut out on a baking sheet, and toast until golden in the oven, approximately 5 minutes. Do not walk away from your oven, as they will burn and be ruined.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, place the freeze dried fruit, and the nuts. Pulse until you have a fine powder, and then remove.
- Add your dates to the empty food processor and spin until the dates have turned into one, sticky ball.
- Add the berry/nut powder back into the food processor along with a pinch of salt, and pulse the food processor until all ingredients have been combined.
- Remove everything from the food processor, and place into a bowl.
- Using a spoon, scoop out 1-2 tablespoon sized balls of dough and roll until smooth. Drop into the toasted coconut and roll around to cover. Place in an air-tight container and store until eating.