Back to our trusted friend, the slow cooker this week on Bite Me! Everyone should have one of these. A slow cooker makes meal prep a complete breeze, and it can help you make a wide array of delicious meals with almost no effort. This week, I made a batch of slow cooker barbacoa for meal prep, and it turned out fantastic. Fresh Thyme had grass fed meat on a crazy sale, and I was able to buy a 2 pound London Broil roast which I used for this recipe. London Broil is a great option for roasts because it only has 2.5 grams of fat and 26 grams of protein per 4 oz. serving, and you get bonus points if you use the grass fed version for your slow cooker barbacoa.
A few of these ingredients I will list as optional, but I really recommend including all of them. Just like at Chipotle, this slow cooker barbacoa is not “spicy” but it does have some smoke and a little bit of heat to it. Feel free to make it spicier by adding things like cayenne pepper, or fresh jalapeños.
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Ingredients:
- 2 pounds London Broil (or another beef roast)
- 2 Cups Beef Broth (any broth is fine)
- 2 Bay Leaves (optional but recommended)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom seeds (optional but recommended)
- 1 Medium Onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 Cloves Garlic, peeled and smashed
- 4 Chipotle in Adobo peppers, plus the sauce, chopped
- 1 T Chili Powder
- 1 T Cumin
- 1/2 T Mexican Oregano (regular oregano would work, as well)
- 1 tsp Red Chili Flake (omit if you don’t like heat!)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Steps:
- Pour the beef broth into the slow cooker.
- Rub the beef with all of the spices, and set into the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, put on the lid, and cook on low for at least 10 hours, or high for at least 6. When the barbacoa is done, shred in the juice, and serve with rice and vegetables for a burrito bowl, or with corn tortillas for tacos. Enjoy!