If there is one flavor of the summer I really miss the rest of the year, it is that wonderful combination of smoke, heat, and sweet that is barbecue chicken. Nothing totally imitates the taste the grill gives. But, you can utilize a simple tool and a few important ingredients to make outstanding barbecue chicken with a plus side: this stuff is fall apart tender. Say hello to this week’s recipe, Instant Pot barbecue chicken. The Instant Pot not only makes fall-apart-tender chicken, but it does it in less than 30 minutes. Throw in a sugar-free barbecue sauce (stevia only!) and a few important spices and you’ve got a meal which just may stick around for the warmer months ahead.
I like to pair this chicken with baked sweet potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts for a dose of healthy carbohydrates and all the micro nutrients. But be creative! It’d go great with a spicy, vinegar-y slaw and sweet corn, too. Just try to channel your inner-summer and you’ll be on the right path.
Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken Ingredients:
- 2 Pounds Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 T Cayenne Pepper
- 1 T Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 T Black Pepper
- 2 1/2 T Garlic Powder
- 1/4 T Whole Fennel Seed
- 1 T Salt
- 1 C Simple Girl Carolina Style Barbecue Sauce
Note: You do need an Instant Pot to make this Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you could use a crock pot/slow cooker, but be sure to sear the meat in a pan, first.
Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken Steps:
- Turn your Instant Pot (IP) to the browning setting. Allow to heat up.
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Once well mixed, toss all over the chicken, being sure to thoroughly coat the chicken breast.
- Once the IP is hot, add your chicken. DO NOT MOVE IT. You want to create a nice crust on the outside.
- After the chicken has browned, flip the chicken and repeat. Once the chicken has browned on both sides, change your setting on the IP to High Pressure. Pour in the barbecue sauce, making sure it covers the chicken at least half way.
- Close your IP and allow to cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes. After the chicken is done, allow to cool briefly, and then shred in the IP. Allow to cool completely in the sauce, and then transfer to another container to enjoy whenever!