I have something to admit to you guys. Behind closed doors, my wife and I call this the, “Gains Shake.” I know, I know. We couldn’t be more lame. The truth is, depending on how you customize this recipe, this workout smoothie can be optimal for muscle gain, maintenance, or even weight loss. Your personal goals should be the influencer on how much food you cram into this workout smoothie. Looking for a way to gain muscle? Add in another 1/4 cup oatmeal, and an extra tablespoon of peanut butter. Looking to lose fat? Take out the honey, and use almond milk rather than regular milk. If you’re looking for maintenance, you can potentially keep the recipe as it is written, but remember your personal caloric needs will be different than the person next to you, so be sure to recognize how much food you need (or don’t need) in a day to fuel your goals.
For a before workout snack, I like to drink this workout smoothie at least one hour before class begins. This is a good amount of food, and I don’t want it to be sloshing around in my stomach. After a workout, this really can function as your usual complete meal. Again, be sure to customize amounts and ingredients to suit your needs. The ability to play and experiment with this basic baseline recipe is probably my favorite part of the workout smoothie. Out of honey? Throw in some maple syrup or dates, instead. Don’t have milk on hand? You can use water. Don’t want to use oatmeal? Cooked rice works well, too. Have fun with it, and find your favorite combination.
Workout Smoothie Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Ice
- 2/3 Cup Fair Life Milk (or milk substitute of your choice)
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (I like Puori or Driven whey protein)
- 2 T All Natural Peanut Butter
- 1/2 T Honey
- 1/2 Cup Oatmeal
- 1/2 T Black Chia Seeds
Workout Smoothie Steps:
- Add all of the ingredients to your favorite blender or nutribullet-like device, and blend on high until everything is thoroughly mixed together. Allow the blender to run for at least one minute after all the ice is crushed in order to give your drink the best consistency.
- Remember, customize the amount of food for YOUR needs! For some of you, this will be a lot of food. For others, it may not be enough. As always, think about what you need specifically to achieve your goals.