With Memorial Day past us (you all still sore from “Murph”, too? Good. I’m not alone) it is unofficially summer! With summer comes my favorite time of cooking: grilling season. Not only is grilling a convenient way to cook without any mess, it is also a healthy option for cooking your meals. There is almost no limit to what you can grill, and we’ll bring you lots of recipes along this summer, but we are kicking things off with this delicious citrus marinated chicken.
Of course, you’ve heard it before: chicken is an extremely healthy protein option. It’s also very cheap. However, if you’re vegetarian or vegan, feel free to substitute tofu for the chicken breast here. It will pick up similar flavors to the chicken, and it goes great on the grill. Just be sure to oil your grill first to prevent sticking.
Served alongside a fresh salad with some roasted sweet potatoes (or black beans), this chicken screams “summer” at the top of its lungs, and almost, ALMOST makes me forget just how cold winter was this year. Now get outside and enjoy some sun while we have it!
Citrus Marinated Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 lb. Chicken Breast
- 1/2 Bunch Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, cut into half moons
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Large Jalapeno, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 Orange
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/2 T Avocado Oil (or other preferred cooking oil)
- 1 T Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Fennel
- 1 tsp Red Chili Flake (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Citrus Marinated Chicken Steps:
- Combine all ingredients, except the chicken, in a large ziplock bag. Shake to thoroughly combine.
- Add the chicken to the bag, and allow to marinate at least 2 hours, and as much as 24 hours in your refrigerator.
- An hour before you’re ready to cook, take the chicken out of the refrigerator.
- When you’re ready to cook, light your grill and set it to medium high heat. Remove the chicken from the bag, and discard leftover marinade.
- Grill the chicken over medium high heat until you reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the citrus marinated chicken from the grill, and allow to rest for 5 minutes. This keeps the juices in your chicken rather than all over your cutting board.
- Slice and serve alongside a delicious summer salad and healthy carbs!