There’s no doubt most mornings you don’t have the time to sit at your kitchen table, leisurely pour a cup of coffee, and cook up a couple of eggs with bacon for breakfast. Most mornings probably look more like this:
- Take a fast shower,
- run to the coffee maker,
- grab a quick breakfast on the go,
- eat in the car,
- and finally make it to work.
While we’re big proponents of slowing down and eating each meal with intention (it’s better for your fullness level, and gives you the chance to actually enjoy your meal), we also recognize there are mornings in which the best you can do is have breakfast on the go.
With that in mind, you’ve probably read every overnight oats recipe on the planet. Heck, we’ve even posted one. But, you probably get tired of having sweet breakfasts every day, and probably even more tired of having oatmeal every day.
Enter, the breakfast sandwich. While McDonald’s has made a completely healthy and delicious meal turn into a sugar-filled calorie bomb with the McGriddle, the humble breakfast sandwich is a great option for a healthy option on the go. Be sure to choose a healthy option for bread, and go easy on the butter in the pan. Between the eggs and bacon, you’ve already eaten a good portion of fat to kick off your day.
Healthy Breakfast Sandwich Ingredients:
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Slices of Bacon
- 1/4 Medium Avocado, sliced
- 1/4″ Slice Tomato
- 1 tsp. Grass Fed Butter
- 1 Ezekiel English Muffin
- Salt, Pepper, and Red Chili Flake (optional) to taste
Healthy Breakfast Sandwich Steps:
- Over medium-high heat in a non-stick pan, or well-seasoned cast iron, melt the butter.
- When the butter is hot, drop the egg into the butter, and season with the salt, pepper, and red chili flake, if using.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in your microwave by placing it between two paper towels on a plate, and cooking 60-90 seconds per side, depending on your microwave’s strength.
- Split the English muffin and toast to your liking.
- Season the tomato with salt and pepper, and arrange on one half of the English muffin.
- When the egg is done (I recommend just past medium – still gooey but not a runny yolk), place on top of the tomato.
- Put the bacon on top of the egg, then arrange the avocado slices on top, and top with the other half of the English muffin.