Bone broth is all the rage in the health world nowadays, as I’m guessing you’ve picked up from the multitude of articles you can find on the benefits of it across the Internet. Here’s one, and here’s another. While we aren’t medical professionals and are not making any medical claims to the power of beef bone broth, here is a quick summary list of the reported benefits of beef bone broth:
- Improved skin, teeth, bones and joints due to the collagen content
- Increased immunity
- Better gut health
- Improved sleep
This article isn’t about why to drink bone broth, but it’s always nice to know a recipe you’re following can help improve your health while being delicious! It’s also worth noting that while this recipe is for beef bone broth, you can make bone broth with chicken bones, or really any other animal bones, as well. As far as serving goes, bone broth makes a great base for soup or noodle bowls. You can even sip it on those chilly fall and winter nights!
Beef Bone Broth Ingredients:
- 4 pounds of Beef Bones (ask your butcher or grocery store for help with finding these)
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 1 Head of Garlic, cloves separated and sliced
- 2 T Olive Oil, divided
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 1 T Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Corns
Beef Bone Broth Steps:
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put your bones on a sheet tray, and rub with half of the oil. Roast for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, put the onion on the tray with the bones, and roast for an additional 20 minutes.
- While the bones are roasting, lightly toast the garlic in the other tablespoon of olive oil.
- Remove the bones from the oven, and place in a very large pan, along with the garlic, onion, bay leaves, salt, and peppercorns. Cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and allow to simmer for approximately 3 hours. Occasionally skim fat off the top using a large spoon.
- After the beef bone broth is done, strain through a fine, mesh sieve into a large container. Cool quickly by adding ice, and then refrigerate. Enjoy!